What the International Standard requires:
Continuous improvement of energy performance is the guiding idea of the ISO 50001. It is therefore an integral requirement to all energy management related activities. Not only shall the measured energy performance be improved but the whole energy management system shall be continually revised, based on the observations and progress which is being made. It shall be assumed that, amongst other criteria, especially the following aspects play an important role in the process of continual improvement.
The active involvement of persons from different corporate areas will be crucial to the prosperity of the energy management initiative. In addition to communicating the basic energy policy, the targets and objectives of energy management in each area and on each level must be communicated. Hence, professional energy management is a demanding collaborative and communicative process. Furthermore, a systematic improvement procedure based on consistent findings shall be pursued. This requires a clear structure of managing respective data and transparent means of data evaluation – the simpler the better. Information once attained shall be available for alternative assessments in the future. Furthermore, it is essential to be able to prove evidence of actions taken and to allow for tracking respective evolvements. Finally, the adaptive nature of corporate energy management inherently requires the system to be able to change. Moreover rearrangements or extensions within a company will require the energy management system to grow correspondingly. An information system for corporate energy management must therefore promote this evolution with maximum flexibility without any constraints.
How zenon supports the fulfillment of these requirements:
- zenon is a modular system which supports alterations and extensions with great flexibility – technically and economically. Any kinds of control and measurement equipment can be connected to zenon without extensive implementation effort. This is also a great advantage if additional control sequences are required, incorporating actuation in the process.
- The flexible creation and adaptation of energy performance reports and related figures help the Energy Management Team to incorporate new ideas and observations without having to invest time into programming. This perfectly suits the required tasks of reviewing and evaluating the ongoing developments in defined time periods as well as the enhancement of the entire Energy Management System.
- zenon´s development suite is offering highly practicable and universal engineering features based on the principle of “setting parameters instead of programming”. Engineering templates such as alarming, monitoring and data-archiving features can be used right from the beginning. Self-made features can be preserved for later usage. Moreover, the zenon Editor comprehensively supports team development scenarios.
- zenon sees to the specific needs of members of the Energy Management Team. Meaningful visualization elements and well-conceived interactive dialogs provide maximum orientation to any person getting in touch with zenon. Furthermore, descriptive illustrations and documents can be dynamically incorporated in respective views. Due to highly sophisticated networking features, zenon makes visualization, data and reporting available on each level of the facility, dependent on the desired access points and individual authorities.
- The cooperation with companies using zenon for corporate energy management results in valuable experience for both, the users and COPA-DATA. Users tend to be very creative in utilizing the potential of zenon in order to create an energy management platform that perfectly suits their specific needs. Hence, corporate energy management initiatives will be very well supported by zenon in the future. Moreover the scalable architecture of zenon allows for a seamless integration of energy management with other production management or automation and visualization tasks.